Friday, August 20, 2010

Ethiopian Lentils With Sweet Potatoes

This turned out really good and was very easy.

I find it easiest to get all the ingredients out and measured and do any chopping etc before I start cooking. The chopping and dicing doesn't take nearly as long as I always expect it to. Then, as I use each ingredient, the container goes straight into the washing up bowl.
I like seeing the empty bench when the pot is bubbling on the stove, and knowing I haven't missed any ingredients out. It works for me, because in general vegetarian dishes (I am finding) have a lot more ingredients than the relatively plain fare I used to make.

I got this recipe from Debbi Does Dinner, and I apologise that I don't know how to make links yet.



Ethiopian Lentils With Sweet Potatoes

1 large Onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 Sweet potatoes, diced
Half Sweet Red Pepper, diced
Half cup dry Lentils
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 and quarter cups water
1 and half tsp Paprika
1 tsp  ground Coriander
Half tsp Allspice
Half tsp cinnamon
Half tsp Fenugreek or Curry
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
Black Pepper

Sautee onion, garlic, ginger and sweet potatoes over medium heat (approx 5-7 mins).

Add red pepper and sautee further 1-2 mins.

Add lentils, tomato paste and water and bring to boil. Add the spices.

Lower the heat and simmer 20 mins until lentils are cooked and water absorbed.

Add soy sauce and pepper.

Serve with tortilla or naan.

(Serves 4-6 depending on size of serve)


This was when it had almost finished the water absorption. Once the soy sauce was added, it went a beautiful creamy brown colour.




I had this with whole grain rolls and green salad as that was what I had on hand.

**Note to self - Halve recipe quantities when only cooking for myself.**

 I have 5 freezer containers left over. While it is nice to have extra meals in the freezer, I don't want bulk lots of one thing ha ha




2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, Lynne! Is that a WOK I see? :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Yes, it is a wok and it gets used pretty much every day. It also has a vented glass lid, though I don't often need that.

    BTW this dish was super tasty, and not too spicy.

    ReplyDelete